- Tour Package
- Travel Info
- Festival (Tshechu)
- Contact Us
Paro is a perfect entry point to this land— the land of the fairytales, willow trees and the land of many roads. The contrasting bright green of the rice terraces in summer, and brilliant white of the Dzong and the temples gives the valley a fresh and pleasant atmosphere.
The country’s first and the only International airport is located here. The iconic Taktsang Monastery (Tiger Nest) is also located in Paro along with Kichu Lhakan, one of the oldest temple of Bhutan. The town center, built in 1985 is aligned along a wide street about 500m long and runs parallel to the Pa Chhu (Paro River).
Paro dzong is also known as Rinpung Dzong, which means “the fortress of a heap of jewels”. It was built in 1646 AD by Zhabdrung Nawang Namgyal. It is one of Bhutan’s most impressive and well-known dzongs. It is deemed as one of the finest examples of Bhutanese architecture. This is where a scene from the 1995 film Little Buddhawas filmed.
Ta means “watch” in Dzongkha. As the name implies, Ta Dzong was a watchtower. It was built to safeguard the main structure of the dzong from the Tibetan invaders in 17thCentury, which is strategically located on the hill above Paro Dzong.
It was built in 1649 by the Paro Penlop Tenzin Drukdra. It was renovated in 1968 to house the National Museum of Bhutan.
A temple built in the form of a stupa in order to immobilize the demon by Tibetan saint Thangthong Gyelpo. There are three floors in the temple representing the three realms (heaven, earth and hell).
It is one of the 108 temples built by King Songtsen Gampo in 659 A.D. It is considered as a secret pilgrimage site for Bhutanese people.The construction of Kyichu Lhakhang(Paro) and Jambay lhakhang (Bumthang) first put Bhutan on the Buddhist map.
Taktshang Goenpa (Tiger Nest)
Taktsang is one of the holiest place in Bhutan the monastery is perched on a high granite cliff overlooking the northern part of Paro valley. In April 1998 a fire destroyed the main structure and its religious contents, but now it has been restored to its original form. The excursion hike up to Tiger’s Nest is rewarding one.
Drukgyel Dzong, “fortress of the victorious Drukpa” was built in 1649 to celebrate a decisive victory over Tibetan forces and to curtail further invasions. It gutted by a fire in 1951 and at moment it is under reconstruction.
The Lhakhang was founded by Thangthong Gyalpo, located few kilometers before Chuzom, the confluence of the Paro and Thimphu River.